RFI’s Sourcestainable® organic line includes the two most popular micro-algae products, Spirulina and Chlorella. These products are nutrient dense natural products, providing key nutritional elements including a vast array of vitamins, macrominerals, trace minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, nucleic acids (RNA and DNA), chlorophyll, and a vast spectrum of phytochemicals such as carotenoids and Phycocyanins. Both Spirulina and Chlorella are great sources of protein, even higher and more digestible than animal-derived proteins.
Sourcestainable® Organic Spirulina and Chlorella are grown and processed on a tropical island in South China Sea in a GMP-certified facility. The resultant product provides plant-sourced high protein powders with vibrant green color.
Spirulina NOP Compliance
In October of 2005, the USDA’s National Organic Standards Board revised the regulations for the production of organic spirulina. Specifically, they disallowed the use of certain nitrogen fertilizers (Chilean Nitrates) in organic spirulina production due to concerns about mining of the nitrates and their environmental impact. (http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/Organic/tap/Chileannitrate-Spirulina.pdf)
Several suppliers of spirulina have since ceased production of their organic spirulina, citing cost issues related to their use of NOP regulated fertilizers.
RFI’s Sourcestainable® Organic Spirulina is cultivated using a fertilizer blend of USDA/NOP compliant ingredients, and the final products are certified 100% Organic. We do not use Chilean Nitrate in our production. The product is also routinely tested for the BMAA bacteria, algal toxins, melamine and high levels of heavy metals
Sourcestainable® Organic Spirulina and Chlorella Highlights
- Grown on the tropical island of Hainan
- USDA/NOP compliant to final rule
- Grown in compliance with ISO9001 standards
- Processed in compliance with GMP standards
- Certified Kosher
- Independent U.S. laboratories verify that Sourcestainable® Organic Spirulina is made without the use of nitrogen-based fertilizers
- Relatively low bacterial and heavy metal counts
- Spirulina is certified free of BMAA bacteria
- Free of any animal derived materials or by-product
- Routinely tested for the presence of melamine
RFI has solutions for you! 800-962-7663